Skip global navigation and go to header navigation

Skip global navigation and read the article

Skip global navigation and go to local navigation

Skip global navigation and go to footer navigation

Home >  International >  Incoming Students >  Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Please make sure to take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions! If you can't find what you're looking for, don't hesitate to email us at!!



Q: Can I participate in NUFS exchange programs if I study at a university with which NUFS doesn't have a partnership agreement?

A: No, currently all of our exchange programs are limited to students from partner institutions.

Q: Can I participate in Global Japan Program if I have never studied Japanese before?

A: Yes, you can start studying Japanese here at NUFS. Further, you can also register for English-taught classes only, if you do not wish to study Japanese.

Q: Can I take classes for domestic students in Japanese?

A: If you enroll in Global Japan Program, your main classes will be those offered by the International Institute for Japanese Language Education (IJLE). However, if you already are proficient in Japanese (N2 on the JLPT scale for undergraduate and N1 for graduate courses) and if the instructor in charge of the course gives you their permission, you may be able to enroll in and receive credit for the course. If you are already proficient in Japanese, you might want to consider applying for Study Abroad Program at NUFS Undergraduate and Graduate Schools (学部・大学院特別聴講生).

Q: How do I register for my classes at NUFS?

A: You will register for all your classes at NUFS after your arrival. We will walk you through the process so you don't need to do anything before coming to Japan.


Q: Can I come to Japan without a visa?

A: All exchange students are required to obtain a college student visa at the nearest Japanese embassy/consulate before coming to Japan.

Q: What type of a student visa do I need?

A: There is only one type of student visa in Japan (留学).

Q: Can I come to Japan as a tourist and apply for my visa from within Japan?

A: No, student visas can only be obtained at Japanese diplomatic missions.

Q: What is a "Certificate of Eligibility?"

A: The certificate of eligibility (CE) is a supporting document for your student visa application. NUFS will apply for your CE at the Immigration Bureau in Nagoya on your behalf. Once the Immigration Bureau issues the certificate, it will be sent to NUFS. As soon as we receive it, we will send it to you via express mail to your home institution.

Q: How long will I need to wait for the CE?

A: It usually takes a month for the Immigration Office to issue the CEs. This is why it is very important that you submit all the required documents on time. The sooner we receive your documents, the sooner we will be able to apply for your CE. Usually, though, students will receive their CEs approximately 2-3 weeks before their planned arrival in Japan. We realize waiting for the CE may make you feel anxious, however, we have no control over this process and must ask for your patience.


Q: Can I arrive to Japan before commencement of my studies at NUFS and do some sightseeing/visit friends or relatives?

A: No. All students must arrive in Japan on the specified dates. As your visa sponsor we are responsible for your well-being in Japan and immigration laws are quite strict. If you fail to arrive on the specified date, your participation in the program may be terminated. If you cannot arrive in Japan on the specified date due to a legitimate academic reason, please contact us in advance and provide proof for the late arrival. We will consider the matter and let you know our decision.

Q: Can I stay in Japan longer than my study period at NUFS?

A: All students have one week to vacate their accommodation and leave Japan after completion of their final semester at NUFS. If, however, you would like to stay in Japan longer, you may do so but you will need to change your residence status to 'tourist.' This is an easy process and we will walk you through it before the end of your final semester at NUFS.

Q: Why am I required to change my status to 'tourist' if my student visa is valid for 2 years?

A: In order to retain your student visa, you need to meet certain conditions. One of the conditions is that you need to be a full time student at the host institution. Since you will no longer be attending classes at NUFS you will not be meeting this condition and thus staying any longer than your study period at NUFS will violate immigration regulations, which is a criminal offense. Therefore students wishing to stay in Japan after the specified deadline (one week after completion of their final semester at NUFS) are legally required to change their visa status.